Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Jagan Mohan Reddy resigns from Congress


Hyderabad: It's official. YSR's son, Jagan Mohan Reddy, has announced his resignation from the Congress in the first step towards launching his own party. Jagan was the MP from

Kadapa. His mother, Vijayalaxmi, has also resigned as MLA from Pulivendula Assembly seat.

Jagan has sent a five-page resignation letter to Sonia Gandhi in which he reportedly expresses his "hurt" over the party trying to divide his family - his father's younger

brother, Y S Vivekananda Reddy, has been offered the position of Home Minister. In doing so, the Congress wants to force YSR loyalists to choose between the party and Jagan

Mohan. (Jagan's resignation letter to Sonia: Full Text)

In his letter to Gandhi, Jagan writes, " I have been suffering humiliation in silence during the last 14 months. A malicious campaign was being unleashed against me, my family

and lastly against my late father and a great leader of masses Dr YS Rajasekhara Reddy.

He adds, "The last straw was the conspiracy that is being hatched to vertically split the family of the great leader who brought back Congress party to power in Andhra Pradesh

twice. I was shocked at the murky and disgusting politics being played at my back. Is it fair to lure my uncle YS Vivekanada Reddy to Delhi, thereby paving way for fissures in

my family? I was deeply hurt over the reports in media that my uncle went to Delhi at the instance of Gulam Nabi Azad. Media reports revealed that this conspiracy was hatched to

rein in Jaganmohan Reddy by provoking his family members against him. Does it not tantamount to a conspiracy against my family and myself?"
The new cabinet headed by Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy will be sworn in later this week on Wednesday.

Jagan has been at war with the Congress over the last few weeks. He has used his TV channel, Sakshi, to attack senior Congress leaders including the PM, Sonia Gandhi and Rahul

Gandhi. (Jagan TV targets Kiran Reddy, Rahul Gandhi)

In turn, the Congress has made it clear that it will not tolerate his habitual dissidence. (Jagan TV row: Jagan's actions undesirable, says Congress)

Reacting to news of his resignation, Law Minister Veerappa Moily said, "It is very unfortunate." MPs from Andhra Pradesh were less reserved- Hanumantha Rao, for example, said

Jagan had been given "plenty of rope" and that his exit will have no impact on the party.

Referring to his future plans, Jagan states in his resignation letter, "As you are apprehending that I might bring down the government in Andhra Pradesh, I am assuring with the

same spirit of high moral values. I am appealing here itself to all the MLAs of the party who adore my late father dearly and who love me. Please do not resign for my sake....

Wherever you are, your love and affection are invaluable to me."

Three days ago, Jagan Mohan told NDTV that his supporters were urging him to quit the Congress on the grounds that it has repeatedly tried to restrain his surging popularity

among voters. The Jagan camp believes that the party is nervous about the people of Andhra Pradesh accepting Jagan as the rightful political heir to the legacy of his father

who died in a helicopter crash last year, and has been on the state's most popular leaders.

"When 150 MLAs supported my candidature for the Chief Minister's post after my father's unfortunate demise, I acted as per your direction without any second thoughts? Is it a

mistake? Honouring your directions, did I not support the candidature of K Rosaiah as Chief Minister...Is it the mistake I committed? As recently as a few days ago, when you

wanted to replace Rosaiah with N Kirankumar Reddy, did I not cooperate for the smooth conduct of the Congress Legislature Party meeting.... Is it also a mistake?" he asks in his

note to Sonia Gandhi.

Last weekend, Sakshi TV, owned by Jagan, aired a news analysis show that was scathingly critical of Sonia Gandhi and the PM as leaders. When the Congress objected, those who

run the channel said that Jagan was unaware of the program's content- an explanation rejected by the party, which, nevertheless decided not to penalise him.

K Rosaiah stepped down as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, partly because of that TV program - he was accused of not being able to handle the factionalism within his party in

his own state.

The Congress then picked Kiran Kumar Reddy as its new Chief Minister. While Reddy made it clear that he would respect the political agenda set by YSR, Sakshi TV was quick to

air shows that challenged Kiran Kumar as the state's new leader; a show also suggested that the Congress' poor performance in the Bihar elections proved that Rahul Gandhi had

been unable to make any sort of impact despite aggressive campaigning by him.

Since his father died, Jagan Mohan has been keen on projecting himself as a mass leader. He launched and conducted his odarpu yatra - a road show across the state - in

defiance of Congress orders. In his resignation letter, he refers to this tour: " What is the sin I have committed.... Is it Odarpu Yatra? I have repeatedly informed you that

it was my personal programme and it was my duty and responsibility as the son of the departed leader."

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Copyright 2009 NEWS BURNz All rights reserved Designed by HOT NEWz